Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Real Deal

I saw something that really caught my eye that reminded me of a sticky note I had on my first computer.  It was a paper sticky note.  I'm a writer and I can't give up paper . . . Every week, the new edition of the Goshen Gazette is originated in a spiral notebook, yet I digress.
The sticky note simply said:  The best sermon is a good example!

That thought has been on my mind a great deal these last few weeks as I go about my business.  Granted, it's not directly Scripture, and yet, it's the theme throughout the Book.  Y'hshuwah said, "follow me."  John penned, "If we say we love him, we should walk as he walked."  Paul, often times referred to his own example, both before and after meeting Messiah.  I think it's the social media that really started my contemplation on this subject.  It's easy to cut and paste a Bible verse, type in HalleluYah or Glory.  Amein, Truth, Word, thumbs up, hit the "like" button, have all been produced by my keyboard and thousands of others, but we don't really know what home lives are actually like.  I live in a very isolated part of the country, but I still interact with people, in person, and it's important that I am actually walking my talk, and that it begins in my heart, not put on like covering.  It's not only important to me, it's required by YHWH.  That is in Scripture:  Wherefore ADONAI said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:  Isaiah 29:13

Lip service is easy.  The children of Israel were managing that as they were heading into Babylonian captivity for idolatry.  I am still continuously stunned when I read swearing in social media.  I just can't believe anyone would take the time to type those, but that isn't what I'm really thinking about.  I read a lot about the fruit of the Spirit, I've written about it and even taught on the subject, but I'm not perfect.  It's easy to look at ourselves and see all the sinning around us that we're NOT doing!  Perhaps that's where ancient Israel was also.  As these end of days continue to unfold and we know there is coming another Babylon, it's time to take inventory.

First my check list of what I'm not doing . . . I don't have any household gods on display.  I don't use swear words.  I'm not shacking up with a man calling it "joined."  I'm not coveting, because I don't want any more stuff to have to keep track of!  I'm not stealing, and the list could go on and on about all the sinning I'm not doing, but eventually that list could end in pride.  Of course we know, most of us who are talking Torah aren't doing those things I listed above, but what does our witness show?

I don't think I have anything around my house that I value above YHWH, but what about something so simple as the way I spend my time?  Do I ignore things I should be tending to or entertain thoughts or conversations that should be put away?  Does HE come first, or is HE simply on my "to do" list?

It's easy to live a celibate or chaste life, but am I harboring unforgiveness, self pity, lust or covetousness in the process?  We may not physically lust after another person, but we can covet relationships.  It's included in Exodus 20!



Does my tone reflect my Savior, or do I sound harsh and uncaring without using swear words?  What about murmuring and complaining?   When I say, "Hello" and chat with the neighbors or in businesses, does my light shine or am I too busy?   Do I misrepresent my circumstances and make excuse?  Do I forfeit opportunities that might open doors to witness?


It's easy to establish a "religious reputation" as in Sabbath keeper, in real time and on social media; but do we actually keep the Sabbath as described here in Isaiah 58:13?  
If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of YHWH, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
To be perfectly honest, I don't think I'm on it for Shabbat, yet.  I am contemplative and I include that in something that needs to be set aside for Shabbat.  Everyone who knows me has made the comment, I'm always thinking.  The last couple of weeks, on Shabbat, I've become more aware of my thoughts that distract from YHWH and Shabbat.  They aren't wrong or evil, but they are inappropriate for Shabbat.  I don't need to stop thinking, I just need to set my thoughts on things above.

We can project any image we think we want to, but the real deal is what goes on when it's more than words. Our Creator looks upon the heart, and our actions speak louder than our words.

1 comment:

  1. Real life isn't about words as much as on the social network. You don't find co-workers, acquaintances, and family as willing to talk about faith as much as people on FB and other online places. Real life is where we live the example though.

    ReplyDelete