Sunday, March 23, 2014

Accountability

Last week, I received some private feedback, indicating I may have misspoken about some ministries.  Since I didn't name any names, I feel it was generic enough to fit a number of ministries in this country, but it also got me thinking about personal accountability on every level.  In light of recent headlines, I will share a link at the close of this article that did raise a few questions as to purpose and accountability, but back to personal responsibility.

We're told, there's a day coming in which we will give an account of every idle word.  One of Messiah's parables also indicate we'll be giving an account of how we used our talents.  Another passage indicates our standard of stewardship will so be judged, and the reference to "goods," I believe translates to time and money.  Basically, come judgment day, every aspect of our life will be laid out and we'll be called into accountability.  I'm not talking about salvation by works, I'm talking about how we live because we have been saved by grace.  I'm also just flat stating what we are told in the accounts of the Gospel, will happen and for what we will be held responsible.
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.  Matthew 12:36

Just because I don't have a private jet or a million dollar best seller, doesn't mean I get a pass on the assets I choose to own or how I spend the money and time within my control.  The fact that I'm not a fashionista still doesn't mean I don't have more clothes than I need.  I have been blessed to have never asked for donations for the ministry work to which I've been called.  YHWH has given me talents in which I can earn a living, as well as literally laid some special events on the hearts of others without my ever saying a word.
And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.  Luke 16:2

It's easy to look at most anyone in America and realize we have it pretty easy and fairly cushy, and for those in need, there are resources.  As I consider the true accountability to which I'll be held, I have my hands full.   I can see obvious lavish lifestyles that I am quite thankful I won't have to answer for, but I'm doing some sorting for the lifestyle I will be answering for.   Whether I'm eating or drinking . . . is everything I'm doing bringing glory to G-d?   I'm not one to bury my talents.  I've tried a few things, only to discover I've got no talent in that area . . . I shudder to think of the idle words . . . Am I a good steward?  What am I doing with what I've been given?   I've asked YHWH if He'll judge me in this life and show me that judgment, so I can repent and bring Him honor.
 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.  Romans 14:12

Seems this week has had some interesting intersections of headline events and timing.  
http://www.examiner.com/article/joel-osteen-s-church-theft-opens-can-of-worms-jaws-drop-as-folks-do-the-math

No comments:

Post a Comment