Sunday, June 29, 2014

Nothing New Under the Sun

The writer of Ecclesiastes made a very powerful statement, inspired actually, when he penned, Ecclesiastes 1:9  The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.  We can read since the beginning of recorded history, people have done what they want and tried to justify it.  If push comes to shove, and they get called out on it, as was the case for Adam and Eve, there's blame.  Blame is nothing more than denial of personal responsibility!  As we sit here watching our society crumble, who is responsible?  Blaming Washington DC obviously doesn't change life on a personal level.  Electing different representatives has not changed the course of this nation.

Sadly, it isn't just a political problem.  The big name preachers don't address sin.  Joel Osteen has been more verbal about his "stand of silence" regarding sin, but it's actually been going on my entire life.  I attended a Billy Graham "crusade," back in the 60's, and I don't like the word "crusade" used in conjunction with a religious event.  I think I was 9 at the time, so nobody asked my opinion . . .  Anyway, I remember the generalized message of "being born again," without reference to actual sin, other than "all have sinned."  I remember the "emotional charge" in the stadium.  Yes indeed we have all sinned, and one of the major sins most of are guilty of, is soft soaping the truth and/or pointing out the sin of others.

Years later, when that same organization was coming to a town in which I was a minister, I was asked to counsel those who came forward.  I was given the instructions of what to say, and what to do, and I simply stated, I can't in good conscience participate.  I could not take their name, for a mailing list, give them their "born again birthday" and send them back from where they had come.  It was specifically scripted and that was just not something I could do.  Since Franklin has taken the helm, he does seem much more vocal on social matters from a Scriptural perspective than his dad was.  I've also noticed Franklin isn't asked to speak as much as his father was.  Back to nothing new under the sun.  

Our society has openly rejected the Bible as a moral compass, much less the Word of the Almighty Creator, while religious leaders choose their words carefully, so as not to offend their supporters.  As a child I asked questions that were not answered, at the time.  As a child, I asked who changed G-d's day off?  Nobody told me the Pope did.  Later as a young teen I sat listening to very sordid details through a "prayer request" and asked later, "What's the difference between a prayer request and gossip?"  That continues to be a question . . . I ask myself regularly.   I give great consideration in sharing testimonies as well.  We've all heard at least one testimony in which the drama of the sin receives more focus, than Abba being glorified.  There's a great deal of victimization in testimonies as well, and "victory" is often measured by worldly standards.  

Once the "victory" is measured in worldly standards, tickling the itching ears usually follows, and that should not be.  

Life isn't about what we acquire and amass, or status we attain.  The true Good News of the Gospel must address sin, because salvation involves repentance.  To omit G-d's definition of sin as well as His expectations; is abject disrespect and displays a total disregard of the price Y'hshuwah paid to bring redemption.  The fact of the matter is stated in the last two verses of the same book quoted in the beginning of this article.
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14  Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear G-d, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.  For G-d shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.



No comments:

Post a Comment