Sunday, November 9, 2014

Unity in The Body - Hands

The words of one of my granddaughters came to my mind this morning through my devotion time.  She had made a comment, several years ago, as I was building a fire in the wood stove in the Tabernacle.  I won't quote it exactly right, I'm sure; but she expressed her thought almost poetically.   She spoke of my hands, so strong and able to carry the logs and start the fire, yet gentle to hold and comfort a baby.  She went on with her observation of her G-ma's hands in that they prepared her good food, fixed her hair.  I was deeply moved by what she shared.  When Abba brought it back to my remembrance this morning, I suddenly saw this as a new perspective on unity.  The words of that little ten year old girl apply to us, the body of Messiah.
Many of us have spoken or written articles with the focus that we are all called to be different parts of the same body, and I am certainly not arguing that, as that is Scripture, but I also see that the same part of the body may need to function differently.  We certainly don't need to handle firewood in the same manner we'd carry a baby, and definitely vice versa!  Yet both tasks are valuable, and done with our hands.  As we are all aware, folks have a different style of presentation and delivery.  I'll scrutinize myself, first.  I tend to be somewhat blunt and to the point.  This works well with active kids under 13 and adults who prefer to do more of the talking.  On other occasions, I can speak to a crowd and seem to maintain their attention and interests.  I do have the ability to interact in conversation over coffee, but in each situation, the others involved are different.  My message doesn't change, nor do my interests and abilities, just the way I "handle" the circumstances and need.

We seem to often think in order to fellowship we must all have the same approach and "handling" methods.  What if we set that notion aside and truly considered the head of this body?  What if we really do need to use our hands to applaud other's abilities, rather than pointing fingers of criticism?  I'm not going all ecumenical and kumbaya here, but raising a serious consideration that I think is being overlooked.  Obviously we can't aim for unity, that takes our eyes off of Messiah and in seeking unity we can actually miss seeking YHWH with a whole heart.  Unity will come when all eyes are on Messiah, all hearts are seeking YHWH and we're in obedience, "busy about our Father's business."  Other than what is specified in Scripture, as outlined in the Ten Commandments we are told in I Corinthians there are many administrations of the same Spirit.

So many of the tasks Abba calls us to, doesn't really take a group to accomplish, it takes His power through those who are willing and obedient.  It would be nice to have a group to bear a unified witness of His goodness and grace.  I'm sure He's pleased with a unified people who give glory, honor and praise to Him. Messiah spoke of touching in agreement, so we know a group with hands clasped in prayer does indeed touch heaven. As we pray for Messiah's return, we do hold a piece of that answer.  His return for a bride without spot, wrinkle, or blemish, is an assembly who jointly raise "holy hands" in unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment