Monday, October 7, 2013

Chuck Smith Moved

When I read Chuck Smith's obituary, his quote resonated with everything I'd ever read and heard about the man.  "Many times over the years he said, 'Some day you're going to read in the paper, "Chuck Smith died,"' Rolph said. "He said, 'That's bad reporting. What it should say is, 'Chuck Smith moved.'"

 In my years of ministry, I've met many Calvary Chapelites  . . . I had the distinct pleasure of hearing a number of Chuck's graduates, and there was something distinctive about many of his students.  For the most part, I appreciate everything I've ever read about Chuck Smith.  I can't say I agree with everything, but I always felt his walk matched his talk.  He knew something was wrong with mainstream Christianity back in the sixties, and he reached out to those who were searching.

I remember many Christians making the comment that Calvary Chapel was trying to be Jewish.  Although there was considerable teaching from the Old Testament, I didn't see that so much, but Chuck Smith's aim was definitely perceived to be contemporary, conservative to those outside religious mainstream.  Calvary Chapel had a very Catholic presence in my observation of the organization, itself.  Many of what I would call "third generation" Calvary Chapelites, spoke of Pastor Chuck the way Catholics speak of the Pope.  By "third generation," I refer to those who came later and were just outside of the mega-church nucleus of the pastors and elders.  There were nearly always grand references to Costa Mesa, and various "higher ups." Although the hierarchical mentality seemed quite prevalent by the turn of the 21st Century, I don't believe Chuck Smith instigated or initiated it.

Chuck Smith reached out to people who were unlike himself.  He was often referred to as a father figure.  He loved them and he introduced them to the Creator who had a reason for them to live.  Chuck Smith touched a great many lives before he moved.

http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-1004-chuck-smith-20131004,0,7276715.story

No comments:

Post a Comment