Sunday, May 25, 2014

Attack of the Adversary

I've pondered for years the number of reports I hear of "under enemy attack."  To be honest, that always causes me to cringe just a bit.  I'm not suggesting for a moment that there isn't an adversary,and I do believe there are demonic spirits, but realistically, I don't believe they usually come in on attack mode.  Scripture indicates the presence of evil approaches in an enticing manner.  Most believers, even many unbelievers have an aversion to out and out evil.  As a young woman not following Messiah, I knew I wanted no part in the "drug party world" of the seventies.  I cannot say it was a completely moral decision, other than to say, I knew I didn't belong there.  Now, on the other hand, if someone made me feel loved and needed, I'd run headlong into that compromise and captivity.

When I became a believer, "the attacks" if you will seemed to not be temptations for what religion and society calls evil, but rather what is deemed "good and right" in our own eyes.  Invariably, when YHWH was opening a door or expanding this ministry, a side tracking "need" would make itself known.  The biggest struggle in my life is, following Messiah in YHWH's plan for me while dealing with personal relationships.  I desperately wanted to succeed at being a respected member of a family,and that's where the temptation entered, and the failure followed!


It's taken me several years to fully understand why Abraham was called away from family and Paul said it was better to remain single!  I've made peace with the fact I'm called an outcast.  For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, says YHWH; because they called thee an Outcast . . .  Jeremiah 30:17

Keep in mind, our Creator has a plan for each of our lives, while the adversary is not creative.  The adversary has one "wish" for all of us . . . confused bondage.  It is we ourselves who make our weaknesses known.  I was finishing up the remodeling of the mission building when I received the call that a grandchild was on the way.  Remember to be "loved and needed" is my weakness . . . Sadly, that weakness turns into "just needed" which often translates into "used," so many times.  Anyway, the cost of my commitment continued to increase.  With twins on the way and a failed relationship, I gained what was supposed to be a situation in which expenses would be shared to providing for someone who simply reneged and opted for guest status . . . for several months.

There is the one other weapon in the adversary's arsenal that works well on me.  Once I settle for being needed, guilt and obligation become the fetters that hold me . . . or I should say, held me. Since becoming a believer, my mother has always served as what I call negative confirmation.  She's very religious and "knows" what everyone should do.  She's even stated the world would be a better place if everyone thought like she does . . . When she said G-d wanted me to lay down my ministry to take care of grandchildren, I recognized the tone.  I knew better and so I maintained all my commitments to community chaplain services, the neighborhood kids for weekend meal and Bible lesson, and caring for grandbabies!

When my health finally did cave in, there was no support from family.  YHWH did deliver me, however; and raise me back up!  I'm so thankful I didn't succumb to the advice from my own mother, to rebel against YHWH!   There have now been several other situations, in which I clearly heard YHWH, stood my ground, offered limited assistance and when the end came, grieved, but received such relief and shalom in the acceptance.    

I do truly appreciate the fact that the adversary is not creative.  When the same basic premise was attempted once again, after I wrote, "Can We All Be Wrong?"  I recognized the MO and was again, given the power to stand firm, while still hoping.  This time the hope wasn't for my success, however; it was for slavation and genuine repentance for the seekers.  It wasn't long before I heard a very clear word from YHWH.   We are not spiritually bound to social obligations, when covenants are broken.  The "enemy" is not omnipotent, nor is he omnipresent.  It seems often, he receives entirely too much credit for his limited power and our weakness in the flesh.  My desire for success and focus in a specific area made me my own worst enemy!


No comments:

Post a Comment