Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Man I Met

In the debate and discussion of The Name, I'd like to share a personal revelation I recently received.  A couple of years ago, a new friend came into my life, through another friend.  All of these relationships began on the internet, through social media.  My friend, Terrie, introduced me to a man called Rev. Spotter.  She had known him for some time.  As internet history and tradition go, back in the day of Windows 98 and before the days of social media, we didn't use our real names, but rather chose monikers that often aligned with what we did.  I was, and still do have the ID emissary scribe.  That is "missionary writer."  Not unlike most internet moniker's this Rev. Spotter's ID clearly identified him.  He is a weatherman/storm chaser, thus: Spotter and he is an ordained minister, hence the "Rev."  Although I recognized him, and "followed" him, I didn't really know him.

As time went on, he became a regular contributor at the Goshen Gazette, through his blog, which carried the "url" with which I was familiar:  Rev Spotter.  As time progressed, we became genuine friends, still online friends, but the friendship grew, and we began to use each other's actual names.  We became prayer partners on occasion and when he'd make a teaching video or his now famous cooking videos, he'd send the link.  As I watched his various videos, I found myself observing different personal traits.  As a cook, also, I was pretty sure I could identify a few of his likes and dislikes, as I watched him prepare his creative recipes.

In his teaching videos, it became clear, very early what he believed and the passion he carries to share the message in which he has been entrusted.  Of course, his gifting behind the camera and his ease in front of the camera made his photos and videos quite enjoyable.  He also articulates well in his blogs.  His articles are a good length and they don't draw undue attention to himself, but rather bring glory to the Father.  It wasn't long in reading his blogs and following his teachings, that I noticed his name.  Why his name wasn't Rev. Spotter, at all!

Now that we have become colleagues and friends in real time, the relationship has changed.  I call him by his actual name, Gerry.  Although he knows I am "emissary scribe" and the "barefoot princess" in blog accounts, he knows me personally as; Eliza, short for Elizabeth.  The other day in speaking to him in person, I used the name, Spotter, and corrected myself with an apology.  Since that incident, I've thought of Y'hshuwah and how most of us met him as "Jesus."

We have the image that Jesus is the Son of the G-d of Israel, died, and rose again.  It wasn't long after I entered covenant with YHWH to follow His Son, I realized, Jesus wasn't actually Messiah's name.  The letter "J" did not exist until the 15th or 16th century, long after our precious Messiah walked this earth.  I'm also guessing the ID, Rev. Spotter did not formally exist until the internet . . .  Of course, I still recognize the references to "Rev. Spotter," but it seems so impersonal now.

I know what Rev. Spotter does and what he stands for on the internet, but I have actual conversations with Gerry and know some of the things that trouble him, as well as things that make him smile.  There are a great many folks who know Rev. Spotter, but friends and family call him, Gerry!

For those who met our Messiah as "Jesus," I'd urge you to consider the name He was given in His language and what His friends and family called Him at the time He walked this earth.  . . . the same, yesterday, today and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment