Sunday, June 1, 2014

What If?

I've been pondering a question for a decade now, and to be honest, I've been hesitant to actually share it, in concern of causing division.  All things considered, there are already plenty of topics doing just that, so I'm jumping on out with this.  Since Scripture doesn't tell us when Messiah was born, the conjecture lingers, still.  Most Bible scholars do concur that he was not born in December, and I would agree.  Of course, very few let that information stop them from the traditional "Christian" rituals of Christmas.

The rainy season in Israel, is basically between October and May, with some areas actually receiving snow, while other regions are arid.  Keep in mind, the arid regions indicate desert and would not be grazing land for the shepherds to be out with their flocks by night . . .  For years I maintained the "school of thought" that Messiah was born through Sukkot, some say the first day, circumcised on the last, but in the past couple of years, a fact lept off the page in Luke 2.  There was no room in the inn . . . Sukkot is camping week!  That should have been the week of empty inns.  Through Sukkot, there should have been a VACANCY Sign in every window of every Inn in Israel!

As I said, Scripture doesn't tell us, but I do have a personal experience that did plant the seed for this thought.  Ten years ago, I celebrated Shavu'ot at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem.  The trip had been booked for a few months, and the reservations were made at that time.  When I arrived to check in, the man at the desk stated simply, "there's no room for you . . . "  I replied that I had made reservations in February, to which he replied, yes, I remember your name, and the other day, the reservation was cancelled.

Since I'd been traveling in Europe before reaching Israel, I asked him if he had any details as to the cancellation.  He smiled and said, "I do have a room, but it's many flights up from what was originally reserved."  With that, I immediately thought, 'HalleluYah!  An upper room for Shavu'ot!'  Wow!  I'd asked YHWH early in my service to Him if I could walk out the book of Acts, then before the trip, that had crossed my mind once again.  Looks like I was off to a great start!  The hotel was packed.  Every mayor of Israel was in the King David Hotel for Shavu'ot and I was blessed to be in an "upper room."  I could literally look over the city of Jerusalem from the balcony.

I've since heard and considered that Messiah may have been born at Passover, or week of Unleavened Bread.  I have no spiritual insight against that theory, but I do have practical knowledge that might offer a question to that timing.  Passover is in the early spring and that is also included in the rainy season as well as being the birthing season for livestock.  I have discovered through my homesteading years, that sheep will "drop" their offspring anywhere, in any weather.  They aren't bad mothers, but they don't seek shelter or safety in birthing their young.  The scent of blood in birthing and the passing of the placenta, not to mention the wandering curious newborns in an open field will certainly draw predators who are also trying to feed their young.  Out in the field by night, seems like an opportunity for the entire flock and shepherd to be preyed upon.  I've learned that it's safest to have the herd enclosed when the birthing time is imminent, then the young can be accounted for and the placentas can be disposed of, away from the herd.  Again, this is not doctrine, only experience . . .

  We read the book of Ruth, annually, in observance of Shavu'ot.  The book of Ruth is all about making a decision to seek the G-d of Israel, and of course points to the kinsman redeemer, who is a prototype of Messiah.  I do know for a fact, the Inns are full in Jerusalem, for Shavu'ot, and the days following the wheat harvest would be a great time to collect a tax!  The wheat harvest is when everything is growing in abundance, but after the initial harvest, a laid back season for growth.

Since the Torah was given to Moses at what was later to be known as Shavu'ot and the Holy Spirit was given on Shavu'ot, to write the Torah on our hearts; as well as provide the power to live Torah . . . Is it possible that the Messiah, who is Torah in the flesh, could have been born [given] on Shavu'ot?

Here is a link to check out the weather in Israel.
http://www.science.co.il/Weather/Israel-Climate.php

2 comments:

  1. I certainly think He was born at some point in the spring season...not the fall. Excellent article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. No room in the Inn really moved me away from the theory of a Sukkot birth.

    ReplyDelete